1. This intuition that looks matter little may be another instance of our denying real influences upon us, for there is now a file drawer full of research studies indicating that appearance is a powerful determinant of initial attraction.
2. The president, in giving to his most powerful and most distinguished rival the greatest place which a president has in his power to bestow, gave an excellent proof of the nobleness of his own spirit.
3. This will be particularly true since energy pinch will make it difficult to continue agriculture in high-energy American fashion that makes it possible to combine few farmers with high yields.
这种困境将是确定无疑的, 因为能源的匮乏使农业无法以高能量消耗这种美国耕种方法继续下去了, 而这种耕种方式使投入少数 农民就可获得高产成为可能。
4. He did not remember his father who died when he was three years old.
5. Behaviorists suggest that the child who is raised in an environment where there are many stimuli which develop his or her capacity for appropriate responses will experience greater intellectual development.
6. Sunrays filtered in wherever they could, driving out darkness and choking the shadows.
China is a large country with four-fifths of the population engaged in agriculture, but only one tenth of the land is farmland, the rest being mountains, forests and places for urban and other uses.（合译）
8. My father was not wrong in judging me too young to manage business of importance.
9. She sat with her hands cupping her chin, staring at a corner of the little kitchen.
10. The military is forbidden to “kill” the vessel, a relative easy task.
11. He was very clean. His mind was open.
As a bride, Yun was very quiet at first. She was never sullen or displeased, and when people spoke to her, she merely smiled.
There’s no way out but to set you to work looking after our neighbour’s buffalo. You’ll make a little money every month, and you’ll get your meals there too. You are to start tomorrow.
14. The sun was coming over the hills. A bass jumped, making a circle in the water. Nick trailed his hand in the water. It felt warm in the sharp chill of the morning.
15. No stretch of imagination could visualize anything half so lovely.
16. Its gleaming sands and backdrop of pine woods and distant hills give it a pleasant and restful atmosphere.
17. Dawn met him well along the way. It was pleasant uneventful ride.
18. He crashed down on a protesting chair.
She has already finished washing. Seated on a stone beside the stream, she wiped her perspiring face with her tunic.
He was, however, eccentric. He did not look for an official post, and did even have any friends. All day he studied behind closed doors.
Times are hard, and fuel and rice are expensive. Our old clothes and our few sticks of furniture have been pawned or sold. We have nothing to live on but what I make by my sewing. How can I pay for your schooling?
22. It was in vain that the old lady asked her if she was aware she was speaking to Miss Pinkerton.(W.M. Thackray: Vanity Fair)
23. 华大妈在枕头底下掏了半天，掏出一包洋钱，交给老栓，（C）老栓接了,抖抖的装入衣袋，又在上面按了两下，便点上灯笼，吹灭灯盏，走向里屋去了（C） 。
After some fumbling under the pillow , his wife produced a packet of silver dollars which she handed over .Old Shuan pocketed it nervously ,patted the outside of his pocket twice ,then lighting a paper lantern and blowing out the lamp ,went into the inner room .
In one hand she had a bamboo basket containing a chipped , empty bowl ; in the other , a bamboo pole , taller than herself , that was split at the bottom . She had clearly become a beggar pure and simple.
25. Kings and bears often worry keepers .